With the input of experts and a brain trust of mom people who share their knowledge with Healthy Child Healthful World, I’ve pulled along a set of several tricks for buying non-toxic gadgets to consider before you head out to a store to buy a safe toy for your kids or new baby.
1. Buy less. Do you really need to buy a new toy? Depending on age of the child, she may prefer a book you promise to read away loud to her. One more special kind of paw patrol toys is an experience; a skye paw patrol toy to the zoo or amusement park or a tour of the area open fire station. Sometimes getting “stuff” is less interesting than any other options only you can create.
2. Buy used. Before planning out to a toy store, check your area for a swap or store that sells second hand items. Often you can find toys that contain been hardly touched for a fraction of what they would cost new. Be sure to check for recalls, however.
3. Avoid plastics. Vinyl plastic material toys are the most severe plastic toys for environmental surroundings and your child’s health. Vinyl itself is harmful and it is loaded with chemicals like lead and phthalates that cause real destruction to human health. Vinyl fabric is junk that is toxic throughout its lifecycle: production, use and convenience. If you can’t bring you to ultimately abandon plastics completely, choose safer plastics marked 1, 2, 4 or 5 in the image usually found at the base of the product.
4. Choose natural materials. Select unpainted wood toys, material toys or plush playthings rather than plastic toys. View out for painted wooden toys unless it is certified that the coloring is non-toxic and lead-free.
5. Just decline material jewelry. Lead is a major problem in jewelry. Testing by HealthyStuff. org found over half charms analyzed contained chemicals of matter, including cadmium, a known carcinogen, and lead. Bottom level line: stay clear of cheap jewelry.
6. No batteries. Below is a great principle. In the event batteries are required for a toy to operate, let it stay on the shelf! Unless you have pre-cleared it, parents of children will thank you for leaving at the toy store loud playthings that whoop, talk, or blare sirens.
7. Select high quality toys. Acquire toys built to previous. Good quality toys can take a beating and still last long enough to be handed down to a younger sibling or friend or even sold to a second customer store once your child has outgrown it.
Finally, look at this option. Rather than buy a toy, find a major empty box and fill it with a blanket, a wooden table spoon, an old pot, and maybe a harmonica, and tie it all collectively with a huge bow. Right now that’s a present a kid could really love.